Monday, November 15, 2010

The wait is over

Friday was a glorious day! Will got good news at work and I had to wait all day for mine. We went to the hospital for our ultrasound that was planned for 5:50 but weren't seen until after 6:40! Why the hold up? I was so anxious/excited about the scan that our baby seemed to know something was about to happen. As I continued to wait, the excited kicks got stronger as our baby prepared for the first picture.

When it was finally my turn, I learned why my doctor was so far behind schedule. All the babies he'd pictured that day had been in bad positions. Our baby wasn't any different. He couldn't get a look at the spine. So I was told to go back to the waiting room and drink MORE water while he scanned the next patient. This made the waiting even longer, but I didn't care at this point. I saw so many beautiful pictures! I didn't know you could watch all four ventricles of the heart beating away. All the measurements came back normal for 19 weeks which is precisely where I'm at right now. I couldn't be more excited, wait, yes I could. Boy or girl?

That was not determined in the first session either. I had to wait while my bladder became increasingly full and the suspense continued. When back in the ultrasound room I found out that the full bladder worked. My baby had moved and we got a number of good looks at the spine and *ahem* other parts. Our baby was kicking away and enjoying the photo shoot not bothering to be modest at all. Yet still, my doctor did not want to say definitively boy or girl. I guess it is a bit harder to positively identify a girl because it is just a lack of seeing male anatomy. However, the fact that I have felt quite strongly all along and we got good views with no "extra bits" according to my doctor, I am reasonably certain we will welcome a baby girl in the spring.

I am not certain enough to want to buy a lot of girl things, nor do I want everything girly or even have a place to store them at the moment. This may be another surprising moment in motherhood - who knows. And as a side note, yes it was my OB that performed the scan and not a technician. I found that quite interesting because I've always seen a technician for ultrasounds in the past and met with the doctor later. It was kind of nice having both those appointments moved into one - especially when paying out of pocket.

Look, I said something nice about national health care (even though my particular dr is private, so I'm not 100% sure this is how other women experience their scans).

Well, I don't have the best technology over here so I'm sorry no pics of the baby quite yet. I hope to post some soon along with the ever growing bump. Somehow, in all the excitement of the weekend, we never took the time to get a good picture of me. By 20 wks (Wed) I promise - a picture will be up!

No comments:

Post a Comment